I’ve been trying to eat healthily this year which usually means pasta is off the menu *sob* but when I’m wanting a little treat, this creamy alfredo pasta is perfect. It’s not the healthiest of meals (hello double cream) but it’s surprisingly low in calories and contains one of you five a day so I’m sure you could bend the rules slightly for just one meal!
Serves 4. Takes 30 minutes. Approx 530 calories per portion
- 8 ounces pasta
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless thin-sliced chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup milk, or more, as needed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as instructed on the packet.
- In the last 2 minutes of the pasta’s cooking time, add the broccoli.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and then add the chicken. You can season the chicken with salt and pepper if desired.
- Once cooked through, remove the chicken and dice it.
- Melt butter in the pan and whisk in flour until it is lightly browned. This should only take about a minute.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and the milk and cook for about 2 minutes whilst whisking constantly.
- Stir in the heavy cream and garlic powder until slightly thickened.
- If mixture is too thick then add more milk as needed
- Mix together the pasta, broccoli, chicken and sauce, top with Parmesan and serve.
This was a little more complicated that the meals I’m usually trusted to cook but it’s actually really easy if you just follow the recipe! Just don’t get disheartened when the sauce looks like a lump mess in the middle. It will all be ok!